background

Monday, February 2, 2015

Burgers and Transfers

Sorry everybody, but I'm almost out of time, so I'll have to make this quick!


This week was the last week of the cycle before transfers, so we had a little District party. One of the Elders in my District, Elder Celis, is an awesome cook, truly amazing what he can do. He made us some hamburgers, and you might think, why wouldn't you go gourmet if this guy is so good? But let me tell you, you've never had burgers like this; he bought some yummy meat, mashed it up, and mixed it with onions and cilantro to make the patties, then we put on onion rings, avocado, tomato, lettuce, bacon, cheese, and some sort of mayo-chili mix. Soooooo good, why can't the States have burgers this good (or good burgers period...?)? He also made a really yummy strawberry drink and a cookie cake, just...gah so good! After eating, we played a Church Doctrine/History game, he's actually suuuuuper knowledgeable when it comes to the scriptures and such. Lots of fun, Mormon Missionaries party hard. 

During this week, we've been trying to be better about teaching people in every moment; in their houses, the streets, public transportation, everywhere. We also have been traveling more to the other pueblo, Zula, in our area. It's really small and not very many members live there, but I've been wanting to go more often because I know there are people there to teach! 

One day, we were there and we contacted this old man in the street. He started trying to argue with us, and all of a sudden, I began to understand something. The thought came to me that this man, was really truly a son of God who God loves and really really wants to return home. I don't think I've ever worked so hard in a contact to get an appointment. I told him exactly what I had just thought, that God loves him and wants him to listen to our message. I then gave him a Book of Mormon and explained it a bit. After I handed him the book, he looked at me, and said, 'Can you come by on this day at this time?' I was stunned. His demeanor completely changed. I don't know if he will be there waiting, but I pray for that almost every night. 

Another cool Zula experience. We found another dog that followed us for about 45 minutes as we walked from appointment to appointment, not finding anybody. We really began to like this little puppy and were not excited to leave it. As we were walking to get on some public transportation to go back to San Pablo, the dog ran up to this man on the sidewalk. He looked homeless, had no shoes, ragged clothes, all that stuff. The puppy sniffed him and then sat next to him, completely forgetting us. The man seemed a lot happier after that. Good dog. 

TRANSFERS!! Elder Antonio is the only one in my district that's leaving. He's going to open a completely new area AND train at the same time! He has one transfer less than I do, and already he's gonna train! He's such an awesome missionary, he'll make a great missionary father for some greenie missionary! I'm staying, waiting to receive....my OWN son!! YES! I'm going to be a father!! I'm super excited for this opportunity, and very humbled by the trust God has placed in me to help shape the rest of this young missionary's mission. A little nervous yes, I still find it hard to get around my area, but very excited! In other transfer news, Elder Jimenez, my trainer/father, goes home tomorrow. Insane man, he'll get to know his grandson before he goes! I'll be sure to get some pics. 

I love you all! Have a great week!

Elder Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment