background

Monday, August 18, 2014

On to Chalco!

Hello Everybody! 

This week was my last week in the MTC! My flight leaves Monday at 6 AM, so I have to leave here at 2:30...gross. 

On Tuesday, last P-day, we were doing our laundry, and Elder Carrillo and I started singing. It started off with more spiritual songs, but gradually, everyone else in the Laundry Room gave requests. We sang and sang and it was a lot of fun, until we realized someone had left. In the Missionary handbook, it says basically to avoid listening to, playing, or singing any music that doesn't invite the Spirit, and though we didn't sing anything bad or immoral, some of the songs were capable of driving away the Spirit. As a result, I've resolved to never during these two years sing anything that is not uplifting or in any way spiritual. I remember Elder Rosenberg making a similar goal with beatboxing, so if he can do it, so can I! 

Wednesday was a really good day to learn a lot! Elder Flores and I were teaching our "investigator" and he wasn't accepting anything we were saying. We kept trying to bear testimony of God's love for us, but he wad not having it, and we couldn't figure out why. After a while, he ended the meeting and reverted back to being our teacher. The thing is, I was really frustrated because I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong, but Hermano Cuadra was so loving and gentle as he nudged us in the right direction. 

Afterwards, he asked to speak with me alone, and we talked about my frustrations. He made it very clear that I shouldn't be frustrated or upset about not being able to do it all now, and even when I get out into the field. It's been really hard the past couple weeks feeling like I'm actually not ready to be here, but Hermano Cuadra helped me understand that I wouldn't be here if that was the case. Of course, we are all imperfect, and none of us know everything (not even close). But Heavenly Father does and He knows what we can do and accomplish. 

I know that I have so much left to learn, that's been made really clear to me in my time here, but I also know that I'm only here because Heavenly Father trusts me to do His work. Despite my imperfections, if I am obedient and do my best to move this work along, He will help me teach as a companion to the Spirit, the Master Teacher. And if I pay close enough attention, maybe I can pick up a few tricks along the way so I can better my teaching skills! 

Thursday wasn't super exciting, at least any more so than any other days. Friday, we went to in-field orientation, which was amazing! We learned a lot about contacting and working with the members and finding investigators, etc. and it was so great! One of the Elders from the District, Elder Christensen was teaching! But it was really sad because he didn't get to teach my class. So I cried. Not really, but it was definitely a bummer. Ah well, his loss. 

Today was our last day of classes, we have one more right after this with Hermano Cuadra. We've been taking lots of pictures, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get them on the computer. Hopefully I can do so today! Also, we're singing "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" (#136) tomorrow in Sacrament meeting, and my branch voted that I sing solo...so I dragged another sister into it haha. We're gonna sing the first half of the first verse together, then everyone will sing (phew). I'm really excited, it's gonna be totally in Spanish, so that'll be a lot of fun! 

I love you all! I know without a doubt that this is the Work of God, and that I am supposed to be here now. I know this Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, is TRUE and that Jesus Christ leads this Church and this Work. I love being here and I can't wait to actually get into the field and do more! I'm pretty sure I won't have another P-day until the Monday after next, I know I said that earlier this week, but I'm almost positive this time haha. Talk to you all then! Thanks so much for all the wonderful letters! Love you! 

Elder Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment