background

Monday, September 8, 2014

Swearing, Bearded Ladies, and Fried Chicken

The weeks for me seem to fly by, it's crazy. Just so you all know, the mailing system here is awful, so anything sent or received will take a while...


This week was pretty great! Tuesday, I went on transfers with E. Roura again, and we had some...interesting contacts. We ran into the bearded lady again, and a super drunk guy. He came up to us and started cursing God out in Spanish, and when he realized I didn't understand, he switched to English! We left as soon as we could, after giving him a card. 

There was also this lady from LA who has been living here for four years. She saw me across the street and yelled, 'Do you speak English??' It was pretty surprising, but she was nice, and we set up an appointment for a couple days later! She isn't in my area, but that's ok, it was cool. Before we returned home that night, we got some legit Mexican burritos. They were amazing. 

On Wednesday, some of the other new elders and I took a day trip up to the Mexico City North Mission to work out some Visa stuff. While there, we stopped by the store that sold all American stuff. I almost cried when I saw the Reese's Puffs. You better believe they didn't last very long. I didn't get back until around 5, so I hadn't gotten to eat much all day. We went to visit this old member couple, when they learned that, they started freaking out and making tons of really good food haha. It was really nice.

Thursday night, we played soccer with some members and I discovered that I'm actually not terrible at it! But I still way prefer frisbee. 

Friday, we had lunch with this super rich family, who owned tons of birds, including four turkeys!! I got to hold one of their parrots, which didn't peck at all! I felt so cool. For lunch, they fed us fried chicken and fries. It was kinda weird to see such an American meal, but also pretty great. 




We had a lot of lessons this week, and I've started speaking more and even leading some! The language is still challenging, but I'm getting better and learning to listen to the Spirit more. I started over the Book of Mormon this week (in Spanish) and I want to share a verse that I really like. 1 Nephi 2:20 says, 'And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper, and shall be led to a land of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a  land which is choice above all other lands.'

The same goes for all of us: So long as we keep the commandments, we will be blessed and receive our own land of promise, being Heaven. If we are obedient, we will receive a celestial glory, and have the joy and peace that comes when we are in the presence of our Heavenly Father and brother, Jesus Christ. 

I know the church is true, and I love being a part of it! I love being here, doing the Lord's work, even though it's tough, because I know the joy the Gospel can bring to those who accept it into their own lives. 

Love you all! 
Elder Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment