background

Monday, December 15, 2014

Virgin Day, Temple, and Transfers!!

I figure I'll just get the transfers stuff over with now. Here's what's going down; Elder Gonzalez is gonna stay here in Cinco de Mayo 1, and I'm leaving! My new area is Atlatzalpa, in the Mixquic zone. Super far away from where I am now. What!? Just wait, it gets crazier. Not only am I leaving the stake, I'm going to be a district leader!!! Not kidding, I thought they were joking at first. I don't even know what to think, not only am I gonna miss my area here, all the people, the members, the missionaries, etc. but I'm also pretty nervous about leading a district. I still have so much to learn, including the language, but I'm grateful for this opportunity I have to serve the Lord and these people more fully and grow in the way God wants me to. 

So crazy. Sorry to get you all excited for this email, this week was actually kind of slow. Not many lessons, few people available, not too much work. Most of that had to do with the fact that on the 12th, every Catholic in Mexico celebrates 'El Dia de la Virgen de Guadalupe.' Depending on how far away they are, many Catholics start their march towards the Basilica, and they celebrate all week. On the 12th, we had to return home at 5:30 to avoid any dangerous situations. Crazy story, as we were heading home, we had about 5 minutes, so we started running, turned a corner, and ran right into a procession of marching people! Bands playing, people dancing, lots of Catholics shouting and whistling at two Mormon missionaries as we tried to make our way through as quickly as possible. So crazy, we had a good laugh about it once we were safe inside haha. 

Since we didn't have many success with contacts, we taught a lot more members. Most of those lessons consisted of giving them the 'Él es la Dádiva' cards for this month and practicing with them how to give one to a friend. We're expecting lots of references this month, which would be awesome!!

On Saturday, we spent most of the day with the Sains family at the temple visitor's center! The mom is an investigator, and the dad, son, and both daughters are less actives. They're really nice and love to let us visit, and the visitor's center was an amazing experience. We went on the tour by two sister missionaries that are serving there and the Spirit was very strong. We then ate and bought some scripture cases and books and ties (well I did, they bought other things). We wanted to stay for the lights, but they weren't gonna late them until 6:30, and we couldn't stay that long, so we left. The difference spiritually between the temple grounds and just stepping on the bus home was very noticeable. Temples are truly holy places. 

Sad news, we were told that we can't use our water heater thingies anymore, so I've been showering with cold water all week again. Seriously praying for gas in my next area. 

This week, I'm gonna share a story from Alma chapter 1. At this time, the King of the city of Zarahemla, King Mosiah (who was also a prophet), had just died. The new prophet, Alma the younger, was a really great man of God, and tried to strengthen the church in every way possible. Despite his efforts, many members of the church became prideful and left. At the same time, many that were not members also became prideful and began to persecute the members. Of this, the scriptures say the following;

Alma 1:25; 'Now this was a great trial to those that did stand fast in the faith; nevertheless, they were steadfast and immovable inkeeping the commandments of God, and they bore with patience the persecution which was heaped upon them.' 
I love this scripture! Despite all their trials, those who were truly disciples of Christ were 'steadfast and immovable' as they held onto their faith and trusted in God. They did not ever allow their doubts to grow so great that they let go of the Church; rather, they were patient in their suffering, and pressed forward, enduring to the end. Let us all be more like these members of the church, 'steadfast and immovable in keeping the commandments of God.'
I love you all! Have a great week!!! 

Elder Connor
P.S. I'm gonna send some pictures from last week as well, to make up for what I missed.
  1. Elder Nava, my zone leader, and I. Elder Nava is such a good missionary, he really focuses and works hard!
  2. Elder Ramos and I. He has one transfer less than I, from Nevada, super great guy.
  3. Juan (my son) and I. Future rapper. Dang it, I should have gotten something signed!



No comments:

Post a Comment